Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Grand Rapids ,MI

How to Verify a Professional's License in Grand Rapids?

Before you hire a professional in Grand Rapids City, it is crucial that you assess this professional's competence. One way to do this is to ensure that this professional is duly licensed and compliant with any city regulations. The Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) supervises the licensure of several professionals and occupations in Grand Rapids across more than 200 license types. However, some professionals are further required to register their state license with the city or obtain a city license. Such professionals include construction professionals like residential builders and electrical contractors. You can confirm a Grand Rapids professional's license by checking the LARA license verification portal or contacting the appropriate LARA agency overseeing the professional. To confirm whether a construction professional is registered within the city, you can contact the Grand Rapids Department of Development Center (DDC) at (616) 456-4100.

In addition to obtaining a relevant professional license, Grand Rapids City also requires specific professionals to comply with some city regulations before performing certain jobs. For instance, construction contractors intending to undertake commercial building projects or renovation projects must obtain the applicable permits from the city's DDC. Queries regarding these permits can also be directed at the DDC by calling (616) 456-4100.

Michigan Contractor License Search:

Do Grand Rapids Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Grand Rapids City is organized into three wards, and each of the city's neighborhoods is sorted under one of these wards. Each ward elects two representatives, and these representatives, together with the City Mayor and other elected city officials, make up the City Commission. The City Commission governs the affairs of Grand Rapids City and ensures its socio-economic progress. However, it does not issue construction or home improvement permits, as this is generally the duty of the city's Department of Development Center. Regardless of this, the City Commission continues to effect policies that it considers necessary for the city's development. For instance, in July 2021, the City Commission began a partnership with the Grand Rapids Urban League to address the spate of rising violence within the city. Also in July 2021, the City Commission reached an agreement with Tetra Tech of Michigan PC to construct a new bio-digester that will primarily convert wastewater into renewable energy.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Grand Rapids?

The Grand Rapids Communications Department is responsible for informing city residents about the city's events and city services. For assistance on filing an unfair business or consumer complaint in Grand Rapids, you can contact this Department at (616) 456-3608. Alternatively, you can file such complaints with the Consumer Protection Department of the Michigan Attorney General Office, either online, or by calling (877) 765-8388. If the business's or professional's actions you are complaining about concerns any criminal activity, such as fraud, you can file a separate report with the Grand Rapids Police Department by calling (616) 456-3400.

Note that when you file a consumer complaint or an unfair business complaint with any of the agencies mentioned above, there is no assurance that you will be compensated for the unfair actions of the professional or business. Therefore, it is recommended that you also consult a competent attorney and consider your chances of successfully suing the professional or business. If you choose to sue, such suits are usually initiated at the Small Claims Division of the Kent County 63rd District Court, which settles claims of $6,500 or less.