Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Detroit, MI

How to Verify a Professional's License in Detroit?

The Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) oversees the licensing and regulation of over 700,000 eligible professionals that are qualified to practice in Detroit. Hiring a properly licensed professional is a responsibility that must be taken seriously, as it can go a long way in determining the success of your intended project. You can authenticate the licensing status of professionals that you intend to employ in Detroit through the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs' Verify a License webpage.

In addition to obtaining a state-issued license, some categories of professionals that wish to practice in Detroit, such as professionals engaged in commercial construction or contracting, may be required to obtain additional city-level licensing or registration. This licensing or registration is handled by the Detroit Buildings, Safety, Engineering, and Environmental Department (BSEED). Also, depending on the specific type and scope of your intended project, you may be required to obtain a permit from this department before beginning any work, regardless of whether your intended project is for residential or commercial purposes. You can contact the Buildings, Safety, Engineering, and Environmental Department at (313) 224-2733 or (313) 224-3179 to make inquiries on the city's licensing and permitting requirements and procedures.

Michigan Contractor License Search:

Do Detroit Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Detroit has seven districts, each of which has several community groups and neighborhood associations. The city's Department of Neighborhoods provides a direct link between these organizations and city officials, and it also collaborates with them in rebuilding and strengthening the fabric of the various neighborhoods in Detroit. However, the Department of Neighborhoods does not issue building and construction permits or licenses, and neither do any of the city's neighborhood associations and community groups. Instead, they engage with residents of the city and drive community engagement on neighborhood projects and initiatives, and also educate these residents on an extensive variety of city programs and policies. In January 2021, it was announced that the city would be expanding its Detroit Alley Cleanup Program, which had been initiated the previous year as a response to petitions from several community associations and block clubs. In February 2021, it was reported that the Northwest Community Block Club Association had stalled plans for the opening of a medical marijuana growing facility at 14313 Wyoming Avenue between Intervale and Lyndon streets until the facility owners enter into a proper agreement with it.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Detroit?

Residents of Detroit can file consumer complaints concerning unfair business practices online with the Consumer Protection Division of the Michigan Attorney General's Office. Complaints can also be filed with this office by mailing a completed consumer complaint form and copies of any supporting documentation to:

  • Consumer Protection Division
  • P.O. Box 30213
  • Lansing, MI 48909-7713

This complaint form, along with the supporting documents, can also be submitted via fax to (517) 241-3771. You can direct any queries related to filing a consumer complaint with this office to (517) 335-7599 or toll-free number (877) 765-8388 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. 4:30 p.m., Mondays to Fridays. Note that even though the Michigan Attorney General's Office can informally act as a mediator between you and the business that the complaint is filed against, it cannot act as a private attorney on your behalf if this mediation is unsuccessful. As such, you should consider consulting with a private attorney to review your available legal options, especially if you intend to seek restitution from the business. These options include filing a suit with the Small Claims Division of the Michigan 36th District Court if the amount in contention does not exceed $6,500. You can get referrals to attorneys in Detroit by contacting the Detroit Bar Association at (313) 961-6120, online, or via email. Alternatively, you can contact the State Bar of Michigan's Lawyer Referral Service at (800) 968-0738 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., Mondays to Fridays to find attorneys near you. Note that you may be charged an administrative fee of $25 to utilize this service. This fee typically covers the cost of an initial 25-minute consultation.