Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Ann Arbor ,MI

How to Verify a Professional's License in Ann Arbor?

The first step to assessing a professional's competence is to confirm if this professional has been licensed. Licensed professionals typically need to satisfy competence requirements, such as passing examinations and continuing education, which indicate that they are more qualified than their unlicensed colleagues. The licensing of Professionals in Ann Arbor is mainly handled at the state level by the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA). This Department licenses and regulates professionals across several occupational categories through 12 Bureaus and Commissions. Residents of Ann Arbor can confirm a professional's license by exploring the license verification webpage maintained by this Department. Residents can also contact the Bureau or Commission overseeing the relevant professional's occupational category or directly contact the LARA at (517) 335-9700 for assistance or inquiries regarding license verifications.

In addition to verifying a professional's license, residents are encouraged to confirm if there are citywide stipulations applicable to their intended project. For instance, contractors cannot undertake building-related jobs in Ann Arbor without a permit. The city's Construction and Building Department handles building-related permit applications and issuances and also receives permit-related queries at (734) 794-6263.

Michigan Contractor License Search:

Do Ann Arbor Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Ann Arbor is divided into five wards, and the city's neighborhoods are spread out across these wards. At every city-organized election, residents of Ann Arbor vote in the Ann Arbor City Council, which comprises the City Mayor and 10 Council Members. While all city residents elect the City Mayor, the residents of each ward elect two representatives each to make up the 10 Council Members. The City Council governs the city's local affairs and approves policies that address residents' needs. Residents can attend and participate in City Council meetings and deliberations by checking the City Council meeting calendar for meeting information, including meeting venues, agendas, and participation modalities.

The Ann Arbor City Council does not issue permits for construction or home improvements across the city. However, it continues to perform administrative roles to ensure residents have access to housing options and housing security. For example, the City Council approved a housing development around the downtown area of the city. This housing development involves the construction of a 22-unit condominium to improve affordable housing options for residents in the area and across the city. Also, in September 2021, the City Council approved amendments to a city ordinance that restricted the practice of early leasing by landlords in the city. The amendment also introduced a tenant commission to give Ann Arbor tenants a united front in fighting unethical landlord practices.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Ann Arbor?

The agency responsible for overseeing consumer matters in Ann Arbor is the Consumer Protection Division (CPD) of the Michigan Attorney General Office. Residents can file an unfair business complaint with this Division online, by fax, or by mail. Residents who wish to file such complaints by fax or mail must first obtain the consumer protection form provided by this Division. Afterward, they are to correctly complete the form and fax it to (517) 241-3771 or mail it to

  • Consumer Protection Division
  • P.O. Box 30213
  • Lansing, MI 48909-7713

To make further inquiries or request assistance with filing an unfair business complaint or general consumer complaints, residents can contact the CPD at (517) 335-7599 or (877) 765-8388 during business hours.

When the CPD receives your complaint, it reviews the complaint and addresses it in the best way possible. This includes suggesting mediation, referring the complaint to another agency, or commencing legal action against the relevant business or professional. Note that steps taken by the CPD to deal with your complaint are usually in the public's interest. Therefore, you might not be reimbursed for any inconveniences caused by the business or professional in your complaint. You can seek personal reimbursement by filing a small claims action at the Ann Arbor 15th Judicial District Court or the Washtenaw County 14A-1 District Court. Note that you cannot claim more than $6,500 in a small claims action, and it is advised that you first consult a qualified attorney for other available legal options.